Saturday, July 9, 2011

It's been hot, hot, hot

And not much sewing has been done.  We have been busy in the garden, going on hike and bike rides and really just enjoying summer.  Sewing has been waiting for a rainy day, which at this point are not coming around very often.  I did get some photos of the wedding cupcakes.

It was a rock and roll wedding and overall I think the cake table looked great.  Making about 160 or so cupcakes really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Here is a closer look at all the hard work.  

Last weekend I did decide it would be fun to have the girls do another sewing project.  Mug rugs have been fun and really nice seeing the ways the girls differ in color, fabric, placement and even just the way they sew.  I thought these coasters would be fun to make for quite awhile now.  A friend gave me one at Friday Night Finishers and ever since then I've thought I should make a few.  It had been awhile since I received the one given so I started looking online to see if I could find directions and sure enough I did.   These coasters are super cute and very easy.  The only real differences between the one I had and these are the one given to me is made with 5 inch squares and instead of using 4 fabrics to make the criss cross it only uses 3.  Using only 3 lets you also use the coaster as a wine charm of sorts. 
We made them both ways and really they are super cute and super easy.  
Here is one with the glass tucked inside.
A view of how you can pick up the coaster and move it around with you, quite useful I think.

Today we went for a morning hike, lunch and then naps.  Once up I really wanted to sew but I didn't want to wake anyone up which seems to happen while I'm in the sewing room.  Those girls hear one peep from that room and they come running.  When T woke up I asked her if she wanted to go to the store with me and I surprised her by taking her to one of my favorite quilt stores for her to pick out fabric for a quilt I think she can handle.  T is age 5 and getting quite good with the sewing machine.  I saw this quilt a few weeks ago and thought it was perfect for her.  Once at the store I decided instead of jelly rolls I would just let her pick out 6 fabrics she liked and I could cut 2 1/2 strips for her.  Once home I got to work and the pink/reds are cut and about 1/2 of the solid whites are done.  I'm hoping tonight to get the rest done and then hopefully tomorrow we can start sewing!
This is a look at the fun fabrics she picked.

Happy Quilting
CDC

No comments:

Post a Comment